Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers and Old Fashioned Ordering Do Not Mix

Stopped by Wendy's drive thru last week to order a #6 Spicy Chicken sandwich and a Kids Meal Chicken Nugget for the girls. At the drive thru window I was informed that the computer is down and you need to order from the window. At the window I was asked to come inside to order from the counter. No problem! As I entered the restaurant I observed four people in line ahead of me. Upon closer observation, I noticed that the Wendy's employees were taking orders the 'old fashioned way' - with pen and paper!

I waited approximately 15 minutes to order and after pointing out on the overhead menu exactly what a #6 value meal actually is comprised of, I wound up with two kids meal and a #6 plus a biggie-size tea that doesn't fit in my cupholder. The manager was on the phone with tech support and punching codes into the CRT register to no avail, all the time telling the employees to round down to the nearest dollar.

I started to wonder just how much of the fast food concept was married to computer technology:
Will the chicken be cooked to the 160 degree temperature if the computer doesn't beep?
Better still, will my fries be cold??

Funny, I just don't recall the White Castle Hamburger ordering process being so complicated. But then again, at 4AM in the morning, after a night of libations, natural mind-altering activities and partying, nothing seemed complicated!

No comments: